Today's Questions - 31 August 2021
1. Which among the following forms part of Post Office Small Savings Scheme:
1. Sukanya Samriddhi Account(SSA)
2. Kisan Vikas Patra(KVP)
3. Public Provident Fund Account(PPF )
4. Senior Citizens Savings Scheme Account(SCSS)
Select the correct answer using the codes given below:
(a) 2 and 3 only
(b) 2, 3 and 4 only
(c) 1, 2 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2, 3 and 4
Post Office savings scheme have come up as one of the safest option for traditional investors who don't want to take much market risk and are dependent on a fixed interest rate.
Post Office Small Savings Scheme are of 9 types:
1. Post Office Savings Account(SB)
2 . National Savings Recurring Deposit Account(RD)
3. National Savings Time Deposit Account(TD)
4 . National Savings Monthly Income Account(MIS)
5 . Senior Citizens Savings Scheme Account(SCSS)
6 . Public Provident Fund Account(PPF )
7 . Sukanya Samriddhi Account(SSA)
8 . National Savings Certificates (VIIIth Issue) (NSC)
9 . Kisan Vikas Patra(KVP)
While several of the above schemes have no maximum balance, for opening and continuity of the schemes you will be required to retain a Minimum Amount balance.
https://zeenews.india.com/personal-finance/post-office-small-savings-scheme-from-ppf-suka nya-samriddhi-to-nps-check-minimum-balance-requirement-in-all-the-9-savings-a/c-2389998. html https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/tamil-nadu/dept-of-posts-begins-campaign-to-rea ch-out-on-its-savings-schemes/article36193684.ece
2. Rabindranath Tagore renounced his knighthood in protest for which among the following events?
(a) Simon Commission
(b) Jallianwala Bagh Massacre
(c) Rowlatt Act
(d) None of the above
Explanation: Option (b) is correct
On May 31st, 1919, a month after Jallianwala Bagh massacre, Tagore renounced his 1915 knighthood. In his letter to the viceroy, Tagore wrote” The time has come when the badge of honour makes our shame glaring in their incongruous text of humiliation, and I, for my part, wish to stand shorn of all special distinctions, by the side of those of my countrymen who, for their so-called insignificance are liable to suffer degradation not fit for human beings.”
https://www.dnaindia.com/india/photo-gallery-rabindranath-tagore-158th-birth-anniversary-f acts-that-you-didn-t-know-about-india-s-first-nobel-laureate-2747475/when-tagore-returnedhis-knighthood-in-protest-against-jallianwala-bagh-massacre-2747481 https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/historians-say-the-new-look-jallianwala-bagh-is-adistortion-of-history/article36191113.ece
3. Article 15 of the Constitution of India forbids discrimination on which among the following grounds:
5. Place of Birth
Which of the grounds given above is/are correct?
(a) 2, 3 and 4 only
(b) 2, 3, 4 and 5 only
(c) 1, 2, 3 and 4 only
(d) All the above
Article 15 in The Constitution Of India 1949
Prohibition of discrimination on grounds of religion, race, caste, sex or place of birth.
1. The State shall not discriminate against any citizen on grounds only of religion, race, caste, sex, place of birth or any of them.
2. No citizen shall, on grounds only of religion, race, caste, sex, place of birth or any of them, be subject to any disability, liability, restriction or condition with regard to
a. access to shops, public restaurants, hotels and palaces of public entertainment; or
b. the use of wells, tanks, bathing ghats, roads and places of public resort maintained wholly or partly out of State funds or dedicated to the use of the general public.
3. Nothing in this article shall prevent the State from making any special provision for women and children.
4. Nothing in this article or in clause ( 2 ) of Article 29 shall prevent the State from makingany special provision for the advancement of any socially and educationally backward classes of citizens or for the Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes. Source:https://indiankanoon.org/doc/609295/
4. Consider the following statements regarding the Pashmina Shawls:
1. Pashmina Shawls belong to Kashmir region.
2. Pashmina Shawls are still not GI certified.
3. To restore the lost glory of Pashmina Shawls a minimum support price of rs.12,000 has been proposed.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
(a) 1 and 2 only
(b) 1 and 3 only
(c) 2 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
Over a period, the number of women associated with hand-spinning of yarns for Pashmina shawls has dwindled significantly in Kashmir, but a rare initiative to double the wages and ensure round-the-year orders is likely to see the re-engagement of women artisans in a critical production process of the world-famous hand-made shawls.
In the backdrop of this trend, the Directorate of Handicrafts and Handloom, Kashmir, has announced a Minimum Support Price (MSP) for geographical indication (GI)-certified hand-made Pashmina shawls “to sustain the old techniques”.
“The minimum wage for a spinner has been fixed at ₹1.25 now. We have proposed Minimum Support Price of ₹12,000 for GI-certified plain Pashmina hand-spun and hand-woven shawls.”
5. Recently in the news, Hurricane Ida battered which country?
Explanation: Option (a) is correct
Powerful Hurricane Ida battered the southern U.S. State of Louisiana, leaving at least one dead and knocking out power for more than a million people, including the whole of New Orleans.
Source: https://www.thehindu.com/news/international/hurricane-ida-hits-louisiana/article36172531 .ece