National Tribal Dance Festival 2022 (14 November 2022)
For Prelims: Tribal Dance
For Mains: Significance of national tribal dance festival, various forms of dance.
Why in News?
On state foundation day, the third edition of the national tribal dance festival, held in Raipur, Chhattisgarh, attracts performers worldwide.
- More than 1,500 dancers traveled for the festival from India and Mozambique, Mongolia, Tonga, Russia, Indonesia, Maldives, Serbia, New Zealand, and Egypt.
What does the National Tribal Dance Festival entail?
- One of Chhattisgarh's grand festivals, the National Tribal Dance Festival, honors various tribal communities and their cultures worldwide and from India.
- The Chhattisgarh Department of Tourism and Culture is in charge of organizing it.
- The purpose of this festival is to bring together the tribal communities and give everyone a chance to learn about their rich culture.
- A second National Tribal Dance Festival will be held in 2021 after the first one in 2019.
What exactly are the Indian folk and tribal dances?
- Simple dances are performed in Indian folk and tribal dances to express joy and happiness among one another.
- Every conceivable celebration, including the change of the seasons, the birth of a child, a wedding, and festivals, is marked by the performance of folk and tribal dances.
- Some dances are performed exclusively by men and women, while others feature both sexes dancing.
Major Folk and Tribal Dances Forms of India
State - Folk/Tribal Dance Form
Assam - Bagurumba, Bihu, Bhortal, Assam, Jhumur
Arunachal Pradesh - Bardo Chham
Chhattisgarh - Raut Nacha
Goa - Fugdi
Gujarat - Dandia Raas, Garba
Himachal Pradesh - Nati
Haryana - Ras Leela
Jammu and Kashmir - Dumhal
Kerala - Chakyar Koothu, Duffmuttu, Margamkali, Oppana, Padyani, Theyyam, Thirayattam
Madhya Pradesh - Grida, Maanch, Matki, Phulpati
Nagaland - Chang Lo, Cheraw
Maharashtra - Lavani, Parvi Nach
Punjab - Bhangra, Giddha, Kikkli
Odisha - Chhau, Goti Pua, Baagh Naach, Dalkhai, Dhap, Gumra, Karma Naach, Keisabadi
Puducherry - Garadi
Rajasthan - Ghoomar, Kalbelia, Kachchhi Ghodi
Tamil Nadu - Parai Attam, Kaaragattam, Kolattam, Mayil Attam, Paampu Attam, Oyilattam, Puliyattam, Poikal Kudirai Attam, Theru Koothu
Tripura - Hojagiri
Uttar Pradesh - Mayur Nritya, Charukala
West Bengal - Gambhira, Alkap, Domni
Sikkim - Singhi Chaam