Swami Sree Narayana Guru
Union Home Minister paid tributes to venerable Swami Sree Narayana Guru ji on his Jayanti.164th birth anniversary of Sree Narayana Guru was celebrated on 2nd September.
• Narayana Guruwas a social reformer. He transformed the social fabric of Kerala and changing the traditional beliefs of Keralites.
• Shree Narayana Guru also known as Shree Narayana Guru Swami, was a Hindu saint & social reformer of India.
• The Guru was born into an Ezhava family, in an era when people from backward communities like the Ezhavas faced social injustice in the caste-ridden Kerala society.
• He led reform movement in Kerala, revolted against caste system and worked on propagating new values of freedom in spirituality and social equality which transformed the Kerala society.
• He installed an idol of siva at Aravippuram in Kerala in his effort to show that the consecration of god’s image was not a monopoly of the brahmins. This is popularly
known as Aravippuram movement.
• He also lent his support to the Vaikkom Satyagraha which was aimed at temple entry in Travancore for the lower caste.
• Narayana Guru organized an All-Region Conference in 1923 at AlwayeAdvaita Ashram, which was reported to be first such event in India.
• Right from Ramana Maharshi, Rabindranath Tagore, to Mahatma Gandhi, social reformers and spiritual leaders met Narayana Guru to express their shared beliefs in his works