India successfully conducted the flight test of ABHYAS – High-speed Expendable Aerial Target (HEAT) – from a test range in Odisha.
• ABHYAS has been designed and developed by the Aeronautical Development Establishment (ADE) of the DRDO.
• The air vehicle is launched using twin underslung boosters.
• It is powered by a small gas turbine engine and has an Inertial Navigation System (INS) along with a Flight Control Computer (FCC) for guidance and control.
• The vehicle has been programmed for fully autonomous flight.
• The checkout of the air vehicle is done using laptop-based Ground Control Station (GCS).
• Abhyas is a High-speed Expendable Aerial Target (HEAT).
• It is designed for autonomous flying with the help of an autopilot.