Rocket Launch Port
The government has identified over 961 hectares in Kulasekarapattinam,Thoothukudi district, Tamil Nadu for the country's proposed second rocket launchport.
• At present, rockets are launched from the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO's) spaceport at Sriharikotta, near Chennai.
• Survey work for balance area is in advance stage. At present, one Launch Pad is being proposed and the second launch port at Kulasekarapattinam, Tamil Nadu.
• On the request of Department of Space, Government of Tamil Nadu has identified 961 hectares in Thoothukudi district.
• Center’s policy decision of opening up of space sector for private players enables them to develop various space qualified subsystems and systems along with building of satellites and launch vehicles.
• They are also permitted to establish facilities and provide launch services and other space-based services.
• Many of these services and products will definitely find global customers, which will increase India’s share in the global space sector market.