Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES) has launched O-SMART (Ocean Services, Modelling, Applications, Resources and Technology) scheme.
• The Blue Economy is concept that encourages better stewardship of our ocean or ‘blue’ resources. The blue economy is not just about market opportunities; it also provides for the protection and development of more intangible ‘blue’ resources such as traditional ways of life, carbon sequestration, and coastal resilience to help vulnerable states mitigate the often-devastating effects of climate change.
• It aims at stepping up ocean research and setting up early warning weather systems.
• It addresses ocean development activities and technological background required for implementation of various aspects of Blue Economy.
Following are the main objectives: -
1. To generate and regularly update information on Marine Living Resources and their relationship with the physical environment in the Indian Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ).
2. To periodically monitor levels of sea water pollutants for health assessment of coastal waters of India, to develop shoreline change maps for assessment of coastal erosion due to natural and anthropogenic activities.
3. To develop a wide range of the state-of-the art ocean observation systems for acquisition of real-time data from the seas around India.
4. To generate and disseminate a suite of user-oriented ocean information, advisories, warnings, data and data products for the benefit of society.
5. To develop high resolution models for ocean forecast and reanalysis system.
6. To develop algorithms for validation of satellite data for coastal research and to monitor changes in the coastal research.
7. Acquisition of 2 Coastal Research Vessels (CRVs) as replacement of 2 old CRVs for coastal pollution monitoring, testing of various underwater components and technology demonstration.
8. To develop technologies to tap the marine bio resources, to develop technologies generating freshwater and energy from ocean, to develop underwater vehicles and technologies and Establishment of Ballast water treatment facility etc.
9. Submission of India's claim over continental shelf extending beyond the EEZ supported by scientific data, and the topographic survey of EEZ of India.