Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya JanaushadhiPariyojana (PMBJP)
The Prime Minister, recently interacted with the beneficiaries of Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya JanaushadhiPariyojana (PMBJP) and store owners of Jan AushadhiKendras, through video conference. The Janaushadhi week is being celebrated across the country from 1st March to 7th March 2020.
• In 2015, the 'Jan Aushadhi Scheme' was revamped as 'Pradhan Mantri Jan Aushadhi Yojana' (PMJAY). In, 2016, to give further impetus to the scheme, it was again renamed as "Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya JanaushadhiPariyojana" (PMBJP).
• PMBJP is a campaign launched by the Department of Pharmaceuticals to provide quality medicines at affordable prices to the masses.
• PMBJP stores have been set up to provide generic drugs, which are available at lesser prices but are equivalent in quality and efficacy as expensive branded drugs.
• BPPI (Bureau of Pharma Public Sector Undertakings of India) has been established under the Department of Pharmaceuticals, Govt. of India, with the support of all the CPSUs for co-coordinating procurement, supply and marketing of generic drugs through the Jan Aushadhi Stores. BPPI is the implementation agency for PMBJP.
• State Governments or any organization / reputed NGOs / Trusts / Private hospitals / charitable institutions / Doctors / Unemployed pharmacist/ individual entrepreneurs are eligible to apply for new Jan Aushadhi stores.
Benefits of Jan Aushadhi Initiative
Promote greater awareness about cost effective drugs and their prescription.
Make available unbranded quality generic medicines at affordable prices through public-private partnership.
Encourage doctors, more specifically in government hospital to prescribe generic medicines.
Enable substantial savings in health care more particularly in the case of poor patients and those suffering from chronic ailments requiring long periods of drug use.
To ensure high quality, medicines are procured from WHO Good manufacturing practice (GMP), Current Good Manufacturing Practice and CPSUs manufacturers for supplying to Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya JanaushadhiKendras.
Each batch of drugs procured is tested random at BPPI's empanelled National Accreditation Board for Testing and Calibration Laboratories (NABL) accredited laboratories thereby ensuring quality, safety and efficacy of medicines and conformance with required standards. Only after being certified by these laboratories, medicines are dispatched to C&F agents, Distributors and JAKs.
Jan Aushadhi Kendra- Taking Affordable medicines to all
Supplying affordable 900 generic medicines, other wellness products and 154 surgical items, the Jan Aushadhi Kendra is world’s largest chain of pharma stores covering all major therapeutic categories such as anti-infective, anti-diabetic, anti-cardiovascular, anti- gastrointestinal and even anti-cancer. This scheme also provides a good source of self-employment with sustainable and regular earnings.
In order to ensure the availability of high quality medicines at lower prices, Government had earlier taken two steps. First, the cost of 850 essential medicines were regulated and the prices of heart stent and equipment for knee surgery were reduced. Second, a series of Jan AushadiKendras were started throughout the country. These steps have greatly benefitted not only the poor, but also the middle class.
Initiatives like Ayushman Bharat, PMSSY, National Health policy-2017, etc. has been undertaken by Government in the direction of making quality healthcare for all.
The Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana was thus launched with an objective of making high-quality medicines available to all at an affordable prices, especially to the poor and underprivileged, through exclusive outlets of Jan Aushadhi Medical Stores. It also intends to extend the coverage of quality generic medicines so as to reduce the out of pocket expenditure on medicines and thereby redefine the unit cost of treatment per person. It will create awareness about generic medicines through education and publicity so that quality is not synonymous with an only high price.
PEPPER IT WITH
Central Drugs Standard Control Organization (CDSCO), ICMR, UHC, PMSSY, FDCs, AB-PMJAY