Rahul Dravid is the former indian cricket player and batsman. He is one of the greatest batsman in the history of cricket. If one ever needed to personify elegance, Rahul Dravid would be the perfect fit.
He became the cement that held the foundations firm.
Rahul Dravid was born to Sharad Dravid and Pushpa Dravid on 11 th January, 1973 in Indore of Madhyapradesh State. Later their family was shifted to Banglore, Karnataka. His father worked in Kissan Jams Company and because of this his teammates used to call him as 'Jammy'. His mother Pushpa Sharad worked as a Professor of Architecture in Bangalore University.
The Wall In The Making
Rahul Dravid started his cricket career from 12 years age on wards. He represented the Karnataka State under-15, under-17 and under-19 level teams. Former cricketer of India Keki Tarapore is his cricketing coach. In his debut match of his school team he slammed a century and got great confidence in his prowess. In 1991 he was selected to Ranji team of Karnataka while he still studying Commerce Degree course in St. Joseph's College of Commerce.
He made his ODI and Test debuts in 1996, but he scored a flawless 95 on Test debut. 'The Wall'. This was just the start of making of a great cricketer, Rahul touched new heights in cricket. He played outstandingly well in the 1999 world cup and later on went to become the captain of the Indian cricket team. A few of his outstanding performances are against England 2002-03, New Zealand 1999 and West Indies 2006.
The tour to New Zealand in 1998-99, saw a changed Dravid come back into the Indian team and establish himself in both formats. He upped his strike rate, learned to rotate the strike and pierce the gaps better, and all the while maintained his impregnable defence that gave rise to his famous nickname.
Rahul Dravid was the first captain to lead India to a Test match victory against South Africa on South African soil. And He became only the third captain from India to win a Test series in England.
Awards and Acheivements
Rahul Dravid gave excellence to his team being a wall against opponents. Many times, through crucial situations, he uplifted his team by giving perfect performances. He use to keep for a long time on pitch defending opponents bowlers that is why he is titled with “The Wall”.
• Rahul Dravid got Arjuna Award in 1998.
• In 1999, Dravid got CEAT International Cricketer of the World Cup.
• Got Wisden Cricketer of the year award in 2000.
• Got Padmi Shri award in 2004.
• Dravid also got ICC Test player of the year award in 2004.
• In 2006, Dravid was honored with captain of ICC Test cricket team.
• In 2012, Dravid got Don Bradman award.
• Dravid got Padmi Bhushan award in 2013.
• In 2015, Rahul Dravid has been awarded with Wisden Indian Highest Impact Test batsman.
• He is the 4th highest runs scorer in Test matches.
• Dravid has won 12 matches against Australia after Sachin.
• He was appointed as Vice Captain of ICC World XI.