384 drugs on essential medicines list
GS Paper - 2 (Health)
Twenty-six drugs, including the common gastrointestinal medicines ranitidine and sucralfate, have been deleted from the revised National List of Essential Medicines (NLEM) 2022 released by Health Minister Mansukh Mandaviya.
More about NLEM
- Three hundred and eighty-four drugs find place in the NLEM, 2022 with the addition of 34 drugs, while 26 from the previous list have been dropped. The medicines have been categorised into 27 therapeutic categories.
- The National List of Essential Medicines was first compiled in 1996 and it was revised thrice earlier in 2003, 2011, and 2015.
- Drugs deleted from the NLEM includes medicines banned in India and those having reports of concerns on the safety profile.
Purpose of National List of Essential Medicines
- The primary purpose of the NLEM is to promote rational use of medicines considering the three important aspects — cost, safety and efficacy.
- It also helps in optimum utilisation of healthcare resources and budget; drug procurement policies, health insurance; improving prescribing habits; medical education and drafting pharmaceutical policies