75 Ramsar Sites in 75th Year of Independence
GS Paper - 3 (Environment)
India adds 11 more wetlands to the list of Ramsar sites to make a total 75 Ramsar sites covering an area of 13, 26,677 ha in the country in the 75th year of Independence. Tamil Nadu has maximum no. of Ramsar sites (14 nos), followed by UP which has 10 nos. of Ramsar sites.
- The 11 new sites include: Four (4) sites in Tamil Nadu, Three (3) in Odisha, Two (2) in Jammu & Kashmir and One (1) each in Madhya Pradesh and Maharashtra.
- Maharashtra's Thane Creek was on 13 August 2022 designated as a Ramsar site, a wetland of international significance.
- This is the first time a wetland in India located within an urban metropolis has received such a designation.
- India is one of the Contracting Parties to Ramsar Convention, signed in Ramsar, Iran, in 1971.
- India signed it on 1st Feb 1982. During 1982 to 2013, a total of 26 sites were added to the list of Ramsar sites, however, during 2014 to 2022, the country has added 49 new wetlands to the list of Ramsar sites.
- During this year itself (2022) a total of 28 sites have been declared as Ramsar sites.
- Based on the date of designation mentioned on Ramsar Certificate, the number is 19 for this year (2022) and 14 for the previous year (2021).