First-of-its-kind VAWT & Solar PV system
GS Paper - 3 (Energy)
The Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport (CSMIA) in Mumbai has become India’s first airport to launch a one-of-its-kind Vertical Axis Wind Turbine (VAWT) & Solar PV hybrid (Solar Mill) to explore the possibility of utilization of wind energy at the airport.
- The CSMIA has introduced this pilot program in collaboration with WindStream Energy Technologies India Pvt Ltd.
- This sustainable initiative undertaken by CSMIA reduces dependence on conventional electricity which propels its journey towards ‘Net Zero’ emissions.
- The CSMIA has deployed a 10Kwp Hybrid SolarMill consisting of 2 Kwp TurboMill (3 Savonius type VAWT) and 8 Kwp Solar PV modules with an estimated minimum energy generation of 36 Kwh/day.
- WindStream Energy Technologies India Pvt Ltd has developed this novel and patented, first-of-its-kind, fully integrated, hybrid renewable energy product which harnesses solar and wind energy combined to generate electricity.
- The energy generated through this technology can be customized on a need-specific basis.
- Due to its modular and scalable size, it’s easy to mount the technology on any mobile or static rooftop.
- This technology is a vital step in deploying a solution at the airport that is renewable, clean, green, environment-friendly, bird-friendly, and a silent solution with a 25-year design life.
- This plant requires bare minimum maintenance of installation, unlike any other machines for electrical supply, where load & batteries are attached to the system.