World Environment Day 2022
GS Paper - 3 (Environment)
Every year, World Environment Day is observed on 5 June. This day is celebrated to encourage awareness and environmental protection. According to the United Nations, "the celebration of this day provides us with an opportunity to broaden the basis for an enlightened opinion and responsible conduct by individuals, enterprises, and communities in preserving and enhancing the environment."
- Led by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), and held annually since 1973.
- The theme for World Environment Day 2022 is ‘Only One Earth’, with the focus on ‘Living Sustainably in Harmony with Nature’.
- The progress of mankind in the last century was accompanied by a massive increase in the exploitation of natural resources. From climate change and marine pollution to the depletion of flora and fauna, environmental issues have only increased with each passing decade.
- The United Nations Conference on the Human Environment aka the Stockholm conference held in 1972 became the first world conference with the environment as its major agenda and it declared the right to live in a healthy environment as a basic human right.
- Not only was the idea of a World Environment Day formalized there but also this conference saw the creation of the United Nations Environment Programme.
- 2022 is a historic milestone as it marks 50 years since the 1972 Stockholm Conference.
- With Sweden as the host country, the slogan for World Environment day 2022 is “Only One Earth”, which focuses on living sustainably in harmony with nature.