Survey vessel Nirdeshak launched
GS paper - 3 (Defence Technology)
Nirdeshak, a survey vessel (large) of the Indian Navy, was launched at Kattupalli near Chennai. Nirdeshak is one of the four survey vessels (large) that is expected to enhance the hydrographic and oceanographic survey capabilities of the Indian Navy.
- The defence ministry said Nirdeshak is another milestone in indigenous shipbuilding, upholding the vision of Atmanirbhar Bharat.
- Of the four survey vessels, three are built by L&T and one by GRSE. Nirdeshak is the second of survey vessels to be launched.
- Remaining two will be delivered in 2023 and 2024. All four survey vessels are to enhance the hydrographic and oceanographic survey capabilities of the Indian Navy.
- The 110m long ships have a displacement of about 3,400 tonne and will be equipped with state-of-the-art hydrographic equipment.
- The ship is designed to operate at a cruise speed of 14 knots and a maximum speed of 18 knots.