UNDP to provide support in PMFBY, KCC
GS Paper - 2 (Polity)
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) will provide technical support to two programmes of the government -- Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana (PMFBY) and Kisan Credit Card-Modified Interest Subvention Scheme (KCC-MISS). The Agriculture ministry and the UNDP have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with this regard.
More about MoU
- Under the MoU, UNDP will leverage its expertise in systems and global know-how for supporting the Agriculture ministry for the implementation of combined agriculture credit and crop insurance.
- The Union Agriculture Ministry is implementing the schemes with complete transparency in the interest of crores of farmers of the country. Direct benefit is being provided to all the farmers.
- The farmers paid Rs 21,000 crore premium under PMFBY, they have received more than Rs 1.15 lakh crore as compensation. This shows that the Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana is working in the interest of the entire farming community.
- Similarly, in the Kisan Credit Card Scheme, massive efforts are being made to give benefits to the farmers who could not take benefit of the scheme earlier. Efforts are being made to reach out to all small farmers, livestock farmers and fishermen.
- The KCC-MISS and PMFBY were launched with the aim to tackle the problematic areas of previous schemes and to map out a structure that affords better implementation options for all stakeholders while achieving the desired results.
- As per the MoU, UNDP will provide responsive, demand-driven technical assistance for effective implementation of agriculture credit and crop insurance, as well as providing capacity development and Information, Education & Communication (IEC) support to existing national and state institutions, keeping in mind the interest of small and marginal farmers, women farmers, sharecroppers, tenant and non-loanee farmers.
- On this strategic partnership with UNDP, "Technical assistance provided by UNDP in the last 4 years has yielded good results.