DoT launched 5G VEPP
GS Paper - 3 (ICT)
The Department of Telecommunications (DoT) launched 5G Vertical Engagement and Partnership Program (VEPP), and invited Expression of Interest (EoI) to create partnerships across 5G use-case ecosystem stakeholders with an emphasis to address vertical industry needs.
- In order to multiply the 5G opportunities across the usage verticals, under the guidance of Secretary (Telecom), an inter-ministerial committee chaired by Member (Technology), Digital Communications Commission is constituted with representatives from Ministry of Electronics and IT, Department of Science and Technology and relevant vertical ministries.
- The 5G-centric program is being offered to industry verticals which have potential for innovative 5G use cases, through an Expression of Interest (EoI) to enable close collaboration between user verticals and 5G technology stakeholders including telecom service providers, solution providers and original equipment makers.
- The required experimental spectrum, according to the department, would also be facilitated on priority basis.
Role of the VEPP Partner
- Identify Single Point of Contact (SPoC)
- Ideate and collaborate with other ecosystem players for relevant 5G use cases
- Facilitate access to relevant premises/campus/infra/data for use-case piloting and prototyping to address prevalent problems and also performance efficiencies.
- Hold vertical specific Hackathons to encourage digital innovations from new innovators apart from existing partners.
- Other actions as may be necessary to support the 5G ecosystem