Kanya Shiksha Pravesh Utsav launched
GS Paper - 2 (Education)
The Union government launched Kanya Shiksha Pravesh Utsav to bring out-of-school girls back to the education system. Women and Child Development Secretary Indevar Pandey said as of now, only four lakh out-of-school adolescent girls are visiting the anganwadis for nutrition, nutrition education and skilling.
- The Kanya Shiksha Pravesh Utsav is being launched by the Women and Child Development Ministry in partnership with the Education Ministry.
- Bringing out-of-school girls back to the education system has been the target since the Right to Education Act was promulgated.
- The focus is all boys and girls get quality education. We are making constant efforts to ensure no child, especially girls, are deprived of their right to education, govt. said.
- The need has arisen because the Scheme For Adolescent Girls (SAG), which initially took care of out-of-school girls, was getting less traction.
- In 2018-19 there were 11.88 lakh girls who were beneficiaries under the SAG scheme and the number drastically came down to 5.03 lakh in 2021.