21 greenfield airports approved
GS Paper - 2 (Infrastructures)
The government has accorded approval for the construction of 21 greenfield airports in the country, President Ram Nath Kovind said on 31 January 2022. Among them, the country's biggest airport is coming up at Gautam Buddha Nagar district in Uttar Pradesh; he said his address to the joint sitting of both Houses of Parliament at the start of the Budget Session.
- So far accorded 'in-principle' approval for setting up of 21 greenfield airportsacross the country in places such as Mopa (Goa), Navi Mumbai, Shirdi and Sindhudurg in Maharashtra, Kalaburagi, Bijapur, Hassan and Shimoga in Karnataka.
- The greenfield airportswill also come up in Datia (Gwalior) in Madhya Pradesh, Kushinagar and Noida (Jewar) in Uttar Pradesh, Dholera and Hirasar in Gujarat, Karaikal in Puducherry, Dagadarthi, Bhogapuram and Oravackal in Andhra Pradesh, Durgapur in West Bengal, Pakyong in Sikkim, Kannur in Kerala and Hollongi (Itanagar) in Arunachal Pradesh, Singh had noted.
- A new airportis being set up at Hollongi, Itanagar. A modern new terminal has recently been opened at the Maharaja Bir Bikram Airport in Tripura.
- This development of the North Eastwill prove to be a golden chapter in India's growth story.
- The president also said that a new era of development in Jammu and Kashmir, and Ladakh regionhas begun and commencement of international flights on Srinagar-Sharjah route is a part of this.