First ever DGGI for Jammu and Kashmir
GS Paper - 2 (Polity)
The Union Home Ministry released the District Good Governance Index for 20 districts of Jammu and Kashmir on 22 January 2022, the first of its kind index for a union territory. The Index was prepared by The Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievances (DARPG) in collaboration with Government of Jammu & Kashmir.
Key highlights of the Index
- In the Agriculture and Allied Sector - Universal coverage has been achieved in Kisan Credit Card scheme, Soil Health Card Scheme and Animal Vaccination. Most Districts of Jammu & Kashmir witnessed growth of Food Grain Production, Horticulture produce, Milk and Meat production, poultry production, agriculture credit.
- Human Resources Development Sector - The percentage of Schools with Drinking Water, Separate Toilets and Electricity Facilities have shown an increase as also the percentage of schools with access to computers and number of children served mid-day meals. In 10 districts 100 percent skill training has been imparted to registered students.
- Public Health Sector - Full Immunization represents a significant success story, percentage of PHC/ Sub-Centers converted to Health & Wellness Centers, proportion of Anganwadis with their own buildings have shown improvements.
- Public Infrastructure and Utilities Sector - Housing for all schemes indicates more than 50 percent of sanctioned houses being grounded in 12 districts, Ganderbal and Srinagar achieving 100 percent access to safe drinking water, 18 districts achieving 100 percent access to sanitation facilities, improvements in households electrified and construction of all-weather roads.
- Social Welfare and Development Sector - 80 percent Aadhar seeding of ration cards represents a major milestone.
- Financial Inclusion Sector - Financial inclusion under Jan Dhan Yojana has achieved universal coverage, financial support under self-employment schemes has also registered double digit growth.
- The exercise on the formulation of the District Good Governance Index was set in motion in July 2021 which has now been completed, and Jammu and Kashmir became the first union territory in the country to have a Good Governance Index, it said.
- The District Good Governance Index of Jammu and Kashmir represents a major administrative reform in benchmarking good governance at the district level and a significant step for timely collation and publication of statistics at the state/district level.
- The index is a milestone and it is expected that it will provide a robust framework for evidence-based assessment of the performance of all the districts in Jammu and Kashmir.