Koyla Darpan launched for coal sector
GS Paper - 3 (Energy)
The government on 21 January 2022 announced the launch of a portal, 'Koyla Darpan', to share key performance indicators related to the coal sector. The portal was launched by the Coal Secretary, the Ministry of Coal said.
- The portal has key performance indicators like coal/ lignite production, coal/ lignite offtake, exploration data, central sector schemes, status of coal stock at thermal power plants, allocation of blocks, monitoring of major coal mines, and coal price.
- The Ministry of Coal has the overall responsibility of determining policies and strategies in respect of exploration and development of coal and lignite reserves, sanctioning of important projects of high value and for deciding all related issues.
- Under the administrative control of the Ministry, these key functions are exercised through the Public Sector Undertakings, namely, Coal India Ltd. and its subsidiaries and Neyveli Lignite corporation India Limited (NLCIL).
- Other than Coal India Ltd. and Neyveli Lignite Corporation India Ltd., the Ministry of Coal also has a joint venture with the Government of Telangana called Singareni Collieries Company Limited.
- The Government of Telangana holds 51% equity and Government of India holds 49 % equity.