India’s first online platform for Spices
GS Paper - 3 (Economy)
The Government has launched the country’s first virtual platform for spice exports Spice Xchange India at a hybrid event held in Kochi. Spices have contributed greatly to India’s export basket despite the pandemic and the country presently enjoys a dominant share in the global spice market by exporting 225 different spices and spice products to more than 180 countries.
More about platform
- Launched by the Spices Board, spicexchangeindia.com is a 3D virtual platform aimed at connecting India’s spice exporters with buyers from around the world.
- The portal uses artificial intelligence (AI)-based technology to connect spice buyers with exporters in India.
- The buyers and sellers can access the database to find the potential customers.
- The portal works as an extended office enabling the subscribers to conduct virtual meetings.
- The Spices Board said the pandemic had forced the board to conceptualize and create the portal, which would be relevant even after the pandemic period as it easily connected exporters and importers.