World population surged 74 mn in 2021
GS Paper - 1 (Populations)
The world's population is projected to be 7.8 billion people on New Year's Day 2022, according to the US Census Bureau. That represents an increase of 74 million people, or a 0.9% growth rate from New Year's Day 2021. Starting in the New Year, 4.3 births and two deaths are expected worldwide every second, the Census Bureau estimated.
- China remains the world's most-populous country with 1.4 billion people, though it is only narrowly ahead of India on 1.38 billion which is set to overtake it by 2025.
- Meanwhile, the US grew by almost 707,000 people over the past year, and the nation's population is expected to be 332.4 million residents on New Year's Day 2022.
- The Census Bureau estimate represents a 0.2% growth rate from New Year's Day 2021 to New Year's Day 2022.
- Starting in the New Year, the US is expected to grow by one person every 40 seconds from births, minus deaths, as well as net international migration.
- The US is expected to experience a birth every nine seconds and a death every 11 seconds, as well as an additional person from international migration every 130 seconds.