Commercial 5G services in 2022
GS Paper - 3 (Information and Communication Technology)
Commercial 5G services will be rolled out in 13 cities in India, including the metropolises, in 2022, the Department of Telecommunications (DoT) said in a statement. These cities are Delhi, Gurugram, Mumbai, Pune, Chennai, Kolkata, Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Chandigarh, Lucknow, Ahmedabad, Gandhinagar, and Jamnagar.
- 5G trials are being carried out by Bharti Airtel, Reliance Jio, and Vodafone Idea in the 700 MHz, 3.5 GHz and 26 GHz bands.
- The companies have also demonstrated India-specific use cases in fields of education, enterprises, mobility and security.
- The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (Trai) has also released a consultation paper to seek industry feedback on various issues related to spectrum auction, such as pricing, valuation, and rollout obligation.
- Access to adequate low-cost spectrum and easy payment terms are essential for companies to plan their investments.
- The government is promoting the development of an indigenously developed 5G standard, called the 5Gi, as an alternative to the globally used 3GPP standard.
- The indigenous 5G testbed has been funded by the government and developed by the Indian Institute of Technology. The project is likely to be completed by December-end.
- Telecom service providers and gear makers, however, have not been in favour of a locally developed standard as it is yet to demonstrate results on a commercial scale.
- The 5Gi standard will be incorporated with the global standard as a part of the compromise formula.