India votes for UNSC resolution
GS Paper - 2 (International Relations)
India has voted in favour of a UN Security Council resolution to grant exemption from sanctions for humanitarian assistance to Afghanistan, underlining that the Council should exercise its oversight on the delivery of assistance as well as guard against any possible diversion of funds.
- India supported the resolution to grant exemption from sanctions for humanitarian assistance to Afghanistan, India’s permanent representative to the UN ambassador T S Tirumurti said.
- It is important that assistance be scaled up and unhindered access be provided to the UN and other agencies.
- In this context, India has supported the call of the international community that access to humanitarian assistance for Afghanistan should be direct and without any hindrance.
- Assistance should reach the most vulnerable first, including women, children and minorities.
- There are reports that suggest that over half the population is facing crisis or emergency levels of acute food insecurity.
- As the largest regional development partner of Afghanistan, India is willing to coordinate with other stakeholders to work towards enabling expeditious provision of much needed assistance to the people of Afghanistan.