Centre extends PMGKAY till March
GS Paper - 3 (Food Security)
The cabinet on 24 November 2021 extended the PM Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana till March 2022. This will be the fifth phase of the scheme that was announced in April 2020 to provide 5kg free foodgrain per month to nearly 81 crore people who are covered under the National Food Security Act (NFSA).
- With this, the free foodgrain programme will be for two years since the Covid pandemic hit the country.
- The PMGKAY scheme for phase-V would entail an estimated additional food subsidy of Rs 53,344.5 crore. The total outgo in terms of foodgrains for PMGKAY Phase V is likely to be about 163 lakh tonnes.
- The phase-I and phase-II of this scheme were operational from April to June, 2020 and July to November, 2020 respectively.
- Phase-III of the scheme was operational from May to June, 2021. Phase-IV of the scheme is currently operational for July-November, 2021.
- So far, under the PMGKAY (phase I to IV) the Centre has allocated a total of about 600 lakh tonnes foodgrains to the states and UTs equivalent to about Rs 2.07 lakh crore in food subsidy.
- Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana (PM-GKAY) is a scheme as part of Atmanirbhar Bharatto supply free food grains to migrants and the poor.