Best police station in the country
Sadar Bazar police station in Delhi has been ranked as the best police station in the country as part of the annual home ministry exercise to grade police stations based on parameters including handling of crime, infrastructure, and approachability of personnel.
- Gangapur PS in Ganjam district of Odisha was adjudged as the second best police station and Bhattu Kalan PS in Fatehabad, Haryana as the third best.
- The Home Minister handed over trophies to SHOs of the top three ranking police stations at the DGP conference being organized by the Intelligence Bureau in Lucknow.
- The Government of India selects the best-performing police stations across the country every year, to incentivize more effective functioning of police stations and promote healthy competition among them.
- The police stations are ranked each year as per directions given by the Prime Minister at the 2015 DGP conference held in Kutch, Gujarat.
- The ranking process assesses the performance of police stations on parameters like handling of property offences, crime against women, crime against weaker sections, missing persons cases, infrastructure, approachability of personnel and feedback of citizens etc.
- In 2020, Nongpok Sekmai PS in Thoubal district of Manipur was adjudged as the best police station in the country, followed by the all-women police station Suramangalam in Salem City, Tamil Nadu; and Kharsang in Changlang, Arunachal Pradesh.