Continuation of PMGSY approved
GS Paper - 2 (Infrastructure)
The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs approved the continuation of Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana-I and II for completion of balance road and bridge works up to September 2022 and continuation of road connectivity project for left wing extremism affected areas (RCPLWEA) upto March, 2023.
- The move is expected to enable completion of works in the north-east and hilly area, which are often stalled because of unfavorable weather conditions and Covid-induced lockdown.
- This includes construction of 32,152 km of roads in far-flung areas of the country at a cost of Rs 33,822 crore.
- The areas hit by Left-Wing Extremism and the tribal areas are going to be benefitted from this.
- Majority of pending works under PMGSY-I and II are in the North-East and Hill States due to factors such as COVID lockdown, extended rains, winters, forest issues.
- The road connectivity project of left wing extremism affected areas (RCPLWEA, which was started in 2016 to improve connectivity in 44 LWE affected districts in 9 states, is being extended upto March, 2023 for completion of these projects which are very critical from communication and security point of view.
- According to the government, various independent impact evaluation studies carried out on PMGSY have concluded that the scheme has had a positive impact on agriculture, health, education, urbanization and employment generation, etc.