Space debris mitigation satellite
GS Paper - 3 (Space Technology)
China successfully launched a new satellite on 24 October 2021 to test and verify space debris mitigation technologies. It was launched from the Xichang Satellite Launch Centre in southwest China's Sichuan Province.
- The satellite, named Shijian-21, was launched by a Long March-3B carrier rocket and it entered the planned orbit successfully.
- The satellite will be mainly used to test and verify space debris mitigation technologies, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
Space debris mitigation in India
- ISRO developed its debris environmental models and software to predict the close approach of any of the debris to the functional satellites.
- The software are regularly used for the debris risk management of the orbiting spacecraft and launch vehicles.
- ISRO recognizes the role of international cooperation in the debris mitigation measures and actively contributes to the efforts of the Inter-Agency Space Debris Coordination Committee (IADC) and United Nations Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space (UNCOPUOS).