India resumes 2018 agreement for Maldivians
Maldives Foreign Minister Abdulla Shahid on 10 October 2021 said he is delighted that India has agreed to resume the 2018 Dec Visa Exemption Agreement between the two countries, under which no visa will be required for Maldivians travelling to India.
- The 2018 Dec Visa Exemption Agreement between the Maldives and India was temporarily suspended due to the COVID-19 border closure.
- NO VISA required from 15 Oct 2021 for Maldivians travelling to India for Medical, Business & Tourism purposes. Maldives will be the 1st beneficiary of VISA FREE TRAVEL since COVID restrictions were imposed by India in Mar 2020.
- This move restores the bilateral visa-free agreement of Dec 2018, the High Commission of India in the Maldives said.
- Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, all visas granted to foreigners were suspended last year.
- Various other restrictions were also imposed on international travel by the Central government to curb the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic.