Country’s tallest air purification tower
GS Paper - 3 (Environment)
A 24-METER-LONG outdoor air purification tower was inaugurated on 7 September 2021, which is being celebrated as International Day of Clean Air for Blue Skies. The installation of the tower was among the top listed projects in Chandigarh, which were scheduled to be completed within 100 days after the joining of Adviser Dharampal.
- The tower, which is stated to be the tallest in the country, has been installed at Transport Light Point (TPT) on Madhya Marg, one of the most populated points due to the heavy traffic pressure and nearby transport area.
- The air purification tower, which is capable of purifying the air of the radius of around 1 km, was installed by Pious Air Pvt Ltd, a Delhi based firm.
- The purifier unit will be able to clean the air of the radius of around 1 km. This is the tallest air purifier tower in the country.
- The equipment will also show the quality index of the air it inhales and the quality index of the air it will exhale. The air purifier functions through electricity.
- Earlier, in August 2021 country's first 'smog tower’ was inaugurated in Connaught Place, New Delhi.
- The United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) in December 2019 adopted a resolution by which 7th September became the International Day of Clean Air for blue skies.
- It aims to prioritize the need for healthy air for all while keeping conversations broad enough to encompass other critical issues such as climate change, human and planetary health as well as the Sustainable Development Goals.
- For 2021 the theme is Healthy Air, Healthy Planet.