OPV Vigraha commissioned
GS Paper - 3 (Defence)
Indian Coast Guard's offshore patrol vessel Vigraha was commissioned in Chennai on 28 August 2021. The ship will be based at Visakhapatnam and operate on the eastern seaboard. Defence minister Rajnath Singh said, the Coast Guard is continuously enhancing the capability of the nation.
- The design conception to development of ICGS Vigraha is completely indigenous.
- First time in the history of Indian defence, contract for not one or two, but seven vessels has been signed with a private sector company, Larsen and Toubro Limited.
- It is fitted with advanced technology radars, navigation and communication equipment, sensors and machinery capable of operating in tropical sea conditions.
- ICGS Vigraha can carry one twin-engine helicopter and four high-speed boats for boarding operation, search and rescue, law enforcement and maritime patrol.
- The ship is also capable of carrying pollution response equipment to contain oil spill at sea.