India launched UNITE AWARE with UN
GS Paper - 2 (International Relations)
India, in collaboration with the UN, launched a technology platform to ensure the safety and security of peacekeepers who are operating in an increasingly complex and risky environments across the world. The name of this technology platform is the UNITE AWARE.
- The launch of the UNITE AWARE platform came as India assumed the Presidency of the 15-nation UN Security Council for the month of August.
- The project, for which India has contributed USD 1.64 million, was launched in the presence of External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar at the UN headquarters.
- The UNITE Aware is a situational awareness software programme that will utilise modern surveillance technology for real time threat assessments to peacekeepers and help them enhance their security.
- This will access live video and satellite imagery, and in very volatile circumstances can also deliver early warnings to peacekeepers. It can also record data on critical incidents and events and follow daily operational activities.
- Using the platform, the entire peacekeeping operation can be visualised, coordinated, and monitored on a real time basis.
- India has developed the technology platform in partnership with the UN Department of Peacekeeping Operations and the Department of Operational Support.
- India has partnered with the UN to roll out the UNITE Aware platform initially in four UN Peacekeeping Missions: MINUSMA (Mali), UNMISS (South Sudan), UNFICYP (Cyprus) and AMISOM (Somalia).