Mission to India self-sufficient in edible oils
Prime Minister on 9 August 2021 announced a National Edible Oil Mission-Oil Palm (NMEO-OP) to make India self-sufficient in cooking oils, including palm oil, as he stressed on reducing the dependence on imports. Addressing a virtual event on PM-Kisan scheme, he said over Rs 11,000 crore will be invested in the edible oil ecosystem.
- On the occasion, PM said while India has become self-sufficient or Aatamnirbhar in production of rice, wheat and sugar, but it was not enough as the country is dependent on huge imports of edible oils.
- PM stressed India must become self reliant in edible oil too as he announced NMEO-OP.
- The Prime Minister said the government will ensure that farmers get all facilities, from quality seeds to technology to promote farming to produce palm oil and other oil seeds.
- It is to be noted here that India is dependent on imports of edible oil to meet the domestic demand. Of the total imports, palm oil constitutes about 55 per cent.
- The Prime Minister said north-eastern states and Andaman and Nicobar Islands could be promoted for palm farming.