RT-PCR test kit ‘ViraGen’ launched
Drug major Cipla on 20 May 2021 announced the commercialisation of its RT-PCR test kit ‘ViraGen’ for COVID-19 in India, in partnership with Ubio Biotechnology Systems. This launch will help address the current testing services and capacity issues while reaffirming the company’s ongoing expansion in the diagnostic space. Cipla will launch ViraGen test kit in the country in partnership with Ubio Biotechnology Systems.
- ‘ViraGen’ is a polymerase chain reaction (Covid-19 RT-PCR) test for Covid-19 in India.
- ViraGen is the company's third offering in the Covid-19 testing segment. Cipla already has partnerships for antibody detection kit and antigen test.
- ViraGen is a real-time detection kit approved by the ICMR (Indian Council of Medical Research) and is based on multiplex PCR technology.
- It helps to identify and detect SARS CoV-2 N Gene and ORF Lab Gene with the sensitivity of 98.6% and the specificity of 98.8% as compared to a standard ICMR test.
- This test is designed for the qualitative detection of nucleic acid from SARS-CoV-2 in the upper and lower respiratory specimens from individuals suspected of COVID-19.