National Technology Day 2021
National Technology Day 2021 on 11 May 2021 celebrates the achievements and contributions of Indians to science and technology. This day serves as a reminder of India breaking into the elite group of nations with nuclear weapons. On 11 May 1998, India conducted three successful nuclear tests at the Indian Army's Pokhran Test Range in Rajasthan under Operation Shakti. Two more nuclear tests were conducted on 13 May 1998. The tests were led by late President Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam. The National Technology Day was observed for the first time on 11 May 1999.
- The nuclear tests conducted on this day in 1998, which gives National Technology Day 2021 its significance, were helmed by aerospace scientist and former President of India APJ Abdul Kalam.
- The mission was carried out by the Indian Army in collaboration with scientists from the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC), Atomic Minerals Directorate for Exploration and Research (AMDER). These tests made India capable of building thermonuclear weapons and fission bombs.
- Also on National Technology Day, India's first-ever indigenous aircraft, Hansa-1, took flight and the DRDO tested the surface-to-air Trishul missile. It is a short-range missile with a quick reaction time.
- The National Technology Day 2021 theme is “Science and Technology for a Sustainable Future”.
- In 2020, the theme was ‘Rebooting the Economy through Science, Technology and Research Translations' titled ‘RESTART'.