Cryptocurrency-funded satellite DOGE-1
Elon Musk-run SpaceX is now accepting the new cryptocurrency Dogecoin to launch an upcoming satellite named DOGE-1 to the Moon. The DOGE-1 is a cubesat to acquire "lunar-spatial intelligence" using onboard cameras and sensors. The satellite is being developed by Geometric Energy Corporation and it will be flown onboard a Falcon 9 rocket in the first quarter of 2022.
- Dogecoin is the fourth-largest cryptocurrency by market value and promoted by Musk fell sharply.
- After vouching for Bitcoin, Tesla CEO Elon Musk now supports Dogecoin cryptocurrency, even calling him "Dogefather".
- Dogecoin is a cryptocurrency invented by software engineers Billy Markus and Jackson Palmer, who decided to create a payment system. Nearly 113 billion coins have already been mined.
- Amid the surge in Bitcoin and Ether cryptocurrencies, Dogecoin has surged more than 659 per cent this year.
- Tesla recently announced it has invested $1.5 billion in the Bitcoin cryptocurrency.