Cipla inks agreement for Baricitinib
Pharma major Cipla Limited on 10 May 2021 announced that it has signed a royalty-free, non-exclusive voluntary licensing agreement with Eli Lilly and Company, USA, for the manufacturing and commercialization of rheumatoid arthritis drug Baricitinib for treatment of Covid-19 patients. Baricitinib was issued a restricted emergency use approval by the Central Drugs Standard Control Organization (CDSCO), Union Ministry of Health.
- It gets approval for use of the drug in combination with Remdesivir for the treatment of suspected or laboratory confirmed Covid-19 in hospitalized adults requiring supplemental oxygen, invasive mechanical ventilation, or extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO).
- Cipla said this collaboration is a step further in the company’s efforts to enhance access to critical treatments for patients affected by the pandemic.
- Cipla will leverage its extensive distribution footprint to make this therapy accessible to more patients and markets.
- Commenting on the partnership, Cipla Limited said, “Enabling access to high-quality treatment and medication is core to our purpose of ‘Caring for life.’
- Through the pandemic, Cipla has been at the forefront of Covid care and our partnership with Lilly is a demonstration of our unwavering commitment to care towards patients impacted by Covid-19.