The Prime Minister will inaugurate a global virtual summit on Artificial Intelligence (AI), RAISE 2020 - 'Responsible AI for Social Empowerment 2020' on 5 October, according to the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology. The summit is scheduled to be held from October 5 to 9, 2020 and is being organised by the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) and NITI Aayog.
- RAISE 2020 will have a dedicated session on building inclusive AI that empowers one billion-plus Indians.
- The session will have Jenny Lay Flurrie, Chief Accessibility Officer of Microsoft sharing her views.
- The ministry said that more than 15,000 stakeholders so far from across academia, the research industry and government representatives from across the world have registered to participate in RAISE 2020.
- Industry analysts predict that AI could add up to USD 957 billion to India's economy by 2035.
- India on 15 June 2020 has joined the Global Partnership on Artificial Intelligence (GPAI) as a founding member to support responsible and human-centric development and use of artificial intelligence (AI).
- With this, India has joined the league of leading nations and economies including the US, the UK, EU, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Mexico, New Zealand, Republic of Korea, and Singapore for launch of GPAI.
- GPAI is an international and multi-stakeholder initiative to guide the responsible development and use of AI, grounded in human rights, inclusion, diversity, innovation, and economic growth.