Flight test of ABHYAS
The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) on 22 September 2020 conducted a successful flight test of ABHYAS - High-speed Expendable Aerial Target (HEAT) from the Interim Test Range, Balasore in Odisha. During the trials, two demonstrator vehicles were successfully test flown, according to government sources. The vehicle can be used as a target for evaluation of various missile systems.
- Abhyas is designed and developed by Aeronautical Development Establishment, DRDO.
- The DRDO achieved a milestone today with the successful flight test of ABHYAS - High Speed Expandable Aerial Target.
- The air vehicle is launched using twin underslung boosters.
- It is powered by a small gas turbine engine and has MEMS based Inertial Navigation System for navigation along with the Flight Control Computer for guidance and control.
- The vehicle is programmed for fully autonomous flight.
- The check-out of the air vehicle is done using a laptop-based Ground Control Station.
- During the test campaign, the user requirement of 5km flying altitude, vehicle speed of 0.5 mach, endurance of 30 minutes and 2g turn capability of the test vehicle were successfully achieved.