Gaganyaan space suits production begins
A Russian research enterprise has begun the production of space suits for Indian astronauts part of Gaganyaan mission, Russian space corporation Roscosmos’ subsidiary Glavkosmos, said on 7 September 2020. Research, Development & Production Enterprise Zvezda under the contract of Glavkosmos with the Human Spaceflight Centre of the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has started manufacturing personal flight equipment for the Indian cosmonauts undergoing training in Russia.
- On September 3, Indian astronaut-elects training for a spaceflight in Russia visited Zvezda. Their anthropometric parameters were measured for the subsequent production of spacesuits.
- The contract also provides for the production of individual seats and custom-made couch liners.
- The contract for the production and delivery of individual equipment kits for Indian astronauts was signed by Glavkosmos and the Human Spaceflight Centre on March 11, 2020. Four India astronaut-elects have been training in Russia since February 10, 2020.
- Last month the astronaut-elects completed training on crew actions in the event of an abnormal descent module landing in three different scenarios.
- First, they completed the training of such a landing in wooded and marshy areas in winter in February 2020, on the water surface in June 2020, and in the steppe in summer late last month (July 2020).
- In June 2020, all Indian astronaut-elects passed training in short-term weightlessness mode aboard the IL-76MDK special laboratory aircraft, and in July, they were trained to lift aboard a helicopter while evacuating from the descent module landing point.