ARHCs included in infra sector
Affordable rental housing complexes have been included in the government's infrastructure sub-sectors list, as per a notification. With the approval of the Competent Authority, an updated Harmonized Master List of Infrastructure Sub-sectors notified, a gazette notification dated August 24 said. The notification, uploaded on the finance ministry's website on 4 September 2020, said 'Affordable Rental Housing Complex' is included in the Harmonized Master List of Infrastructure Sub-sectors by insertion of a new item in the category of 'Social and Commercial Infrastructure'.
- In July, the Union Cabinet had given its nod for the Affordable Rental Housing Complexes (ARHCs) scheme.
- The scheme, under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana - Urban (PMAY-U), was part of the Rs 20.97 lakh crore Aatmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyan package.
- The initiative has been taken up to provide dignified and affordable living spaces for urban migrants/poor.
- Affordable rental housing complex means a project to be used for rental purpose only for urban migrant/poor (EWS/LIG categories) for a minimum period of 25 years with basic civic infrastructure facilities such as water, sanitation, sewerage/septage, road, electricity along with necessary social/commercial infrastructure.
- The initial rent will be fixed by the local authority/ entities based on local survey of the surrounding area wherein the project is situated.
- The project must have at least 40 dwelling units of double room or single room or equivalent dormitory units or a mix of all three in any ratio but not more than one-third of the total built up area under double bedrooms units.