Union Housing and Urban Affairs Ministry approved the construction of around 10.28 lakh houses under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban), taking the total number of houses sanctioned so far under the scheme to 1.06 crore. The decision was taken at a meeting of the Central Sanctioning and Monitoring Committee (CSMC) under PMAY (Urban). The meeting was attended by 19 states and Union Territories. This was the first CSMC meeting held during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- HUA Secretary Durga Shanker Mishra stated that by the end of this year, they should work towards achieving the target of constructing 60 lakh houses while 80 lakh houses should be grounded for construction, a statement by the ministry said.
- It stated that about 67 lakh houses are currently grounded for construction and more than 35 lakh have so far been completed and occupied,
- The ministry said the total number of sanctioned houses under PMAY(U) is now 1.06 crore as against the validated demand of 1.12 crore.
- In the meeting, 1,589 proposals from participating states were approved for the construction of nearly 10.28 lakh houses.
- These houses are proposed to be constructed across beneficiary-led construction and affordable housing in partnership verticals under PMAY(U).
- In the meeting, states also put in their proposals for revision of projects due to various issues such as land, topographical hazards, inter-city migration, change of preferences of verticals and loss of lives, among others.
- The ministry said the total investment under the PMAY (U) is Rs 6.31 lakh crore which has central assistance of Rs 1.67 lakh crore of which Rs 72,646 crore has been released.
- Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban) Mission launched on 25th June 2015 which intends to provide housing for all in urban areas by year 2022.
- The Mission provides Central Assistance to the implementing agencies through States/Union Territories (UTs) and Central Nodal Agencies (CNAs) for providing houses to all eligible families/ beneficiaries against the validated demand for houses for about 1.12 cr.
- As per PMAY(U) guidelines, the size of a house for the Economically Weaker Section (EWS) could be upto 30 sq. mt. carpet area, however States/UTs have the flexibility to enhance the size of houses in consultation and approval of the Ministry.
- In continuation to this Government’s efforts towards empowerment of women from EWS and LIG unlike earlier schemes, PMAY (U) has made a mandatory provision for the female head of the family to be the owner or co-owner of the house under this Mission.