Atma Nirbhar UP Rozgar Abhiyan
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 26 June 2020 launched the 'Atma Nirbhar Uttar Pradesh Rozgar Abhiyan' which seeks to promote local entrepreneurship and create partnership with industrial associations to provide employment opportunities. At the virtual launch, Modi interacted with villagers from six districts of Uttar Pradesh. Villages across all districts of the state joined the event through Common Service Centres and Krishi Vigyan Kendras.
- The scheme seeks to dovetail central and state government's programmes, while also creating partnerships with industry and other organisations as the COVID-19 pandemic affected the workforce in general and migrant workers in particular.
- The campaign is intensely focused towards providing employment and promoting local entrepreneurship.
- In Uttar Pradesh, nearly 30 lakh migrant workers returned to their native districts following the loss of livelihood in metropolis due to Covid-19 lockdown.
- The initiative is focussed on generating employment opportunities in 31 districts of the state which have reported more than 25,000 returnee migrant workers.
- The combined population of France, Italy, Spain and the UK is equal to Uttar Pradesh's population. More than one lakh people have died in these countries but in UP only 600 died due to Covid-19.
- About 60 lakh people are being given employment in small industries i.e. MSMEs in schemes related to village development. In addition to this, a loan of about 10 thousand crore rupees has been allocated to thousands of entrepreneurs under the Mudra Yojana for self-employment.
- As part of the Atma Nirbhar Bharat initiative, 5,000 workers will be distributed tool-kits. These workers consist of ironsmiths, tailors, hairdressers, carpet weavers, soap makers, tanners and textile workers among others.