e-Gram Swaraj portal and Swamitva Scheme
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 24 April 2020 interacted with Sarpanchs from across the nation on the occasion of Panchayati Raj Day. Prime Minister also inaugurated e-Gram Swaraj portal and launched the Swamitva Scheme on the occasion. Addressing Sarpanchs via video conference, Prime Minister Modi said, Now, broadband has reached more than 1.25 lakh panchayats. Not only that, the number of common service centres in villages is also crossing three lakh.
- PM Narendra Modi inaugurated a unified e-GramSwaraj Portal and mobile application on the occasion.
- The portal is a new initiative of the Panchayati Raj Ministry to provide all the gram panchayats with one single interface to prepare and implement their gram panchayat development plan (GPDP).
- Swamitva Scheme will provide an integrated property validation solution for rural India.
- The scheme is expected to boost the government's efforts to alleviate poverty in rural areas.
- Under the scheme, the inhabited land will be demarcated in rural areas by using the latest surveying methods such as drone technology with collaborated efforts of the Survey of India, State Panchayati Raj Department, Ministry of Panchayati Raj and State Revenue Department.
- The National Panchayati Raj Day is observed annually on April 24.
- The Government in consultation with the states had decided to celebrate the day as National Panchayati Raj Day.
- The observance marks the day the 73rd Amendment of the Indian Constitution came into effect.
- The Constitution (73rd Amendment) Act, 1992, which gave constitutional status to Panchayati Raj institutions, came into effect from April 24, 1993.
- The day marks a defining moment as it decentralised political power to the grassroot level.