Countries across the world have announced lockdown to contain the spread of the deadly COVID-19. Restricting the movement of people is being used as a measure to control the speed of spread of the coronavirus infection. The coronavirus disease originated in the Wuhan city of China and soon spread to other parts of the world. Currently, there is no vaccine available to protect against coronavirus. The coronavirus infection spreads from person to person in close proximity through droplets of bodily fluids - such as saliva or mucus. These droplets from an infected person are dispersed in the air or on surfaces by coughing or sneezing and then can infect others who come in close contact with an infected person or pick it up by touching infected surfaces and then their face. So far, the most effective solution to control the spread of coronavirus cases have been lockdown of cities to control the movement of people.
What lockdown means?
- Lockdown is an emergency call that usually prevents people or information from leaving an area.
- Lockdown is also used to protect people of a particular area from a threat or other external event.
- A complete lockdown means that people must stay where they are and may not enter or exit the area under lockdown.
What happens during a lockdown?
- In the current lockdown situation, all public transport — intercity/interstate, public places such as malls, halls, gym, spa, sports club etc — are closed.
- Only shops that sell essential goods are allowed to open. The movement of private vehicles is also restricted.
What India lockdown means?
- The government announced lockdown in many states in India to control the spread of coronavirus.
- During the lockdown period, all shops, commercial establishments, factories, workshops, offices, godowns, weekly markets were instructed to stop their operations and only essential services and establishments were exempted from the lockdown.