Leh to host International Yoga Day
Leh, the capital of the Union territory of Ladakh will be the venue for the main event for International Yoga Day on June 21 and Prime Minister Narendra Modi will attend it, AYUSH Ministry officials said. Modi is expected to perform yoga asanas based on the Common Yoga Protocol. The event is likely to be attended by 15,000 to 20,000 people.
- The event of IDY 2020 promises to be unique and different since such a large congregation for yoga will be taking place in a high altitude location like Leh for the first time.
- Industry bodies like CII, FICCI, Institute of Company Secretary and educational bodies like CBSE, NCERT, UGC and DAV have already prepared programmes for June 21.
- Last year the event was held in Ranchi.
- The AYUSH ministry, which is the nodal body to oversee the annual celebrations, has organised several programmes since the inception of International Yoga Day in 2015.
- In Delhi, the main event will be held at Rajpath and it will be organised by the New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC) along with the ministry.
- International Day of Yoga is also called World Yoga Day. For the first time it was celebrated on 21 June 2015.
- This initiative was taken by the Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi by giving an impactful speech related to yoga on 27 September 2014 in the United Nations General Assembly and for this reason, on 21 June, it was declared as "International Yoga Day".
- The proposal to celebrate the International Yoga Day on 21 June in the United States was approved by 193 members on 11 December 2014.