Lifetime Achievement honour for Kapil Dev
P.V. Sindhu was adjudged the Sportstar of the Year and Kapil Dev honoured for Lifetime Achievement at the Sportstar Aces Awards in mumbai. Sindhu, who won a historic badminton World Championship gold in 2019, was also declared Sportswoman of the Year (racquet sports) before an audience of some of the finest Indian sporting stars.
- Kapil, who led India to World Cup victory in 1983, expressed his happiness through a heartfelt video message.
- Rohit Sharma was chosen the Sportsman of the Year (Cricket) for a hugely successful year, when he finished the top run-scorer at the World Cup while also making a roaring start to life as a Test opener.
- Yuvraj Singh, who accepted the award on Rohit’s behalf spoke of his appetite for runs.
- Smriti Mandhana emerged Sportswoman of the Year (Cricket), and was presented the award by Cricket Australia Director and former Australia women’s cricketer Mel Jones.
- The jury, which presided over all but two awards, was chaired by Sunil Gavaskar and also comprised N. Ram, Chairman, The Hindu Group, Viswanathan Anand, Aparna Popat, Anjali Bhagwat and M.M. Somaya.
- The Chairman’s Choice Award went to Australian batsman Steve Smith for his remarkable performance in the Ashes, and was received on his behalf by Cricket Australia chair Earl Eddings.