Crimes were committed against the state
India registered 8,536 crimes under the ‘offences against the state’ category in the National Crime Records Bureau’s 2018 report, a 5% decrease from 2017. Uttar Pradesh accounted for the highest number of crimes under the category, while Sikkim reported the least. Crimes committed by “anti-national elements” also increased in 2018 from 2017.
- U.P. registered 2,503 cases under the category, the highest in the country, followed by Tamil Nadu, which reported 2,241 cases.
- Among the States with the least cases, Sikkim recorded three. Undivided J&K reported 281 cases.
Cases by crime head
- In 2018, the highest cases were registered under The Prevention of Damage to Public Property Act, or PDPP Act (7,127).
- The number of sedition cases increased in 2018 from 2017.
- U.P. reported the most cases (2,388) under the PDPP Act, while Jharkhand registered the most sedition cases (18).
- Crimes by “anti-national elements” (introduced in 2017) include those committed by Northeast insurgents, naxalites and terrorists.