India successfully test-fires QRSAM
India on 23 December 2019 successfully test-fired its Quick Reaction Surface to Air Missile (QRSAM) system, likely to be inducted into the armed forces by 2021, from a base off Odisha coast. The missile, developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), was flight-tested from the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur.
- The QRSAM was flight-tested with full configuration in deployment mode intercepting the target mid-air, meeting the mission objectives.
- The entire event was monitored by ground telemetry systems, range radar systems and electro optical tracking system.
- The QRSAM weapon system, which operates on the move, comprises fully automated command and control, active array battery surveillance radar, active array battery multifunction radar and launcher.
- Both the radars are four-walled having 360-degree coverage with search on move and track on move capability.
- With this mission, the developmental trials of the weapon system have been successfully completed and it is expected to be ready for induction by 2021.