India will have its first-ever Olympic Hospitality House in Tokyo during the Summer Games next year. The Indian Olympic Association (IOA) and JSW Group announced a partnership to build the facility. Many of the Olympic participating countries have their own hospitality houses during the Games but this will be the first time India will be having one to showcase its culture and heritage.
- The official India House logo was unveiled by sports minister Kiren Rijiju in the presence of IOA president Narinder Batra and secretary general Rajeev Mehta.
- Scheduled to be operational from July next year, the India Olympic Hospitality House will be built by JSW on a piece of land of 2,200 square metre area in close proximity to the Games Village and multiple venues in the Ariake region of Tokyo.
- It will offer a range of activities and experiences for travelling fans and supporters who will be in Tokyo for the Olympics. A staple among developed sporting nations, this will be the first-ever such venue for India at the Olympic Games.
- Through this initiative, the IOA and JSW hope to cement India's presence as a significant member of the Olympic Movement.
- The India House is a great initiative and we are pleased that JSW has come on board to showcase our culture and heritage at the Olympics through this Hospitality House. Indian athletes first participated in the Olympic Games in 1920 in Antwerp though India was not an independent country at that time.
- The 2020 Summer Olympics, officially known as the Games of the XXXII Olympiad and commonly known as Tokyo 2020, is an upcoming international multi-sport event that is scheduled to take place from 24 July to 9 August 2020 in Tokyo, Japan, with preliminary events in some sports beginning on 22 July.
- Tokyo was selected as the host city during the 125th IOC Session in Buenos Aires, Argentina on 7 September 2013.
- These Games will mark the return of the Olympics to Asia having hosted in 1964 (Tokyo), 1972 (Sapporo) and 1998 (Nagano) all in Japan, 2008 in Beijing, China and 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang County, South Korea. The 2022 Winter Olympics will be held in Beijing, China.