Joint Panel for FTA
- According to a joint statement, both India and Asean members have decided to constitute a joint committee to reexamine the FTA.
- The ministers agreed to initiate the review of the Asean-India trade in goods agreement to make it more user-friendly, simple, and trade facilitative for businesses.
- This was decided at a meeting between economic ministers of Asean and commerce and industry minister Piyush Goyal in Bangkok on 10 September 2019.
- In their meetings with Goyal late July, several industries, including steel, pharma, textiles and electronics, criticised India’s trade agreements with Asean, Japan and South Korea in the past decade on grounds that the country’s trade deficit with these nations just widened after these pacts had come into force and there was only limited gains for them.
- If, on top of this, a free trade agreement with China is effected through the 16-nation RCEP (of which Beijing is a key member), cheap Chinese products will flood our market.
- The bilateral trade between India and Asean rose to $80.8 billion in 2018 from $73.6 billion a year before.
- Both India and Asean members agreed to further promote potential of bilateral trade through the utilisation of the free trade pact as well as cooperation in some areas like financial technology, connectivity, start-ups and innovation.
- The Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) is a regional intergovernmental organization comprising ten countries in Southeast Asia, which promotes intergovernmental cooperation and facilitates economic, political, security, military, educational, and sociocultural integration among its members and other countries in Asia.
- ASEAN also regularly engages other countries in the Asia-Pacific region and beyond. A major partner of Shanghai Cooperation Organisation, ASEAN maintains a global network of alliances and dialogue partners and is considered by many as a global powerhouse, the central union for cooperation in Asia-Pacific, and a prominent and influential organization.
- It is involved in numerous international affairs, and hosts diplomatic missions throughout the world. The ASEAN Secretariat is located at Jakarta, Indonesia.